Monday, May 7, 2012

International Bereaved Mothers Day


Yesterday was International Bereaved Mother's Day, a day that I probably would never have even heard about had I not lost my daughter.  I hate the fact that I know what this day is and what it represents.  I am dreading this upcoming mother's day.  This was suppose to be my first mothers day, a day to celebrate what I have become.  While I know that I am still a mother to Alyssa I can't help but feel sorrow knowing that I couldn't raise her in this lifetime. 

I hate knowing that when random people see me they don't see me as a mother because I don't have my baby here with me. When people see me they don't know that I gave birth to a baby girl and five days later had to kiss her goodbye.  They don't know that a week after I had to see my baby girl in a coffin as they dragged her off to have her cremated.  An image that I will carry forever and wished that I never had to do.  When they carried her away they also carried away all the hopes and dreams I had for her and for my family. 

When people see me they see a smile on my face and see the optimism that I have for life (which I honestly do), but they don't know that there is still a hole in my heart and in my life.  They see my husband and I but they don't know that there is one missing.  There will always be one missing. 

While I've learned to accept what's happend I still have those days where I question why.  Why me?  Why did God bless me with a baby only to take it away 8 months later?  Why was I chosen to be an angel mother? I hope one day I can see the bigger picture. 

Despite it all, I am still Alyssa's mother.  I am honored to be her mommy and I would not trade her for anything in the world.  I am glad that she has a mommy who care so deeply for her, who thinks about her everyday, and writes about her in order to keep her memory alive.  It's the least that I can do, and I am honored to do it. 

To all the other angel mommies out there, I am sorry for your loss and am thinking of you during this time.  At the same time I thank you for sharing your stories with me.  God knows that I would not be where I am today without you all, and knowing that I am not alone on this road.  I hope that this road that we are on will lead us to a happier place and brings us the peace that we are searching for. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment